Systems Administrator with 10 years experience building, troubleshooting, and supporting Linux, Solaris, and Microsoft Windows based systems. Current experience with tuning and troubleshooting Apache/Tomcat/JBoss applications running on RHEL and Solaris systems utilizing Subversion, PostgreSQL and Python scripting.
System Administrator - Level 2 Support at CollabNetMay 2007 - Current
- Subject matter expert in PostgreSQL for department
- Advised hosted and on-site customers in performance tuning and database maintenance.
- Created internal training and documentation on database tuning and usage.
- Obtained PostgreSQL Associate DBA Certification from EnterpriseDB in June 2010.
- Technical lead in providing System Administration service to large on-site customer.
- Technical lead on transition of hosted customers from off-site hosting to in-house.
- Trained CollabNet employees on management of SourceForge Enterprise Edition (now known as CollabNet TeamForge) .
- Maintained all previous responsibilities from position at VA Software.
Product Support Engineer for SourceForge Enterprise Edition at VA SoftwareNovember 2006 - May 2007
- Provided customer support for SourceForge Enterprise Edition.
- Answered questions via phone, email, and ticketing system on a a variety of technologies used with SourceForge including CVS, Subversion, SSH, James SMTP server, JBoss, Apache, and PostgreSQL.
- Maintained Hosted Edition Customer servers.
- Remote system upgrades using SSH and iLO (Integrated Lights-Out).
- Creation, deletion, and loading of CVS and Subversion repositories.
- Automation of tasks using Perl, BaSH, and cron.
- Created and maintained user documentation.
- Created new and edited existing knowledge base articles.
- Created new and edited existing FAQ entries.
- Participated in 24/7 on call rotation
Networking Specialist for nextSource on assignment at General ElectricLouisville, KY June 2006 - November 2006
- Managed CVS repositories
- Supported IIS and Apache web servers.
- Deployed, monitored and maintained Apache / Tomcat applications.
- Configured and maintained IIS web servers
- Created and maintained remote access to Windows 2003 servers using SSH tunnels.
- Assisted DBAs in accessing Windows SQL servers.
Tier 2 Unix Support at Hosting.comLouisville, KY January 2005 - June 2006
- Headed deployments of new dedicated and co-located customers.
- Configured HP/Compaq hardware for Web and SQL servers
- Automated OS installations using Microsoft ADS, and Red Hat Kickstart scripts
- Configured Cisco Local Director for load balanced server configurations
- Supported dedicated, co located and shared customers
- Provided technical advice for scopes of work.
- Documented troubleshooting procedures that were then used by co-workers.
- Worked with a variety of operating systems including Red Hat and Debian Linux, Solaris, and Windows 2000/2003 Server.
- Worked with a variety of Web technologies including Apache, Sendmail, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Internet Information Server (IIS), Merak Email server, and Cold Fusion.
- Answered customer questions via email/ticketing system and phone.
- Provisioned new customers on Windows/Linux/Solaris servers including web, email and DNS setup.
- Monitoring of Network and Servers
- Investigated monitor alerts using standard TCP/IP tools, ping/traceroute/telnet/ssh/dig.
- Restarted services on a variety of operating systems including Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.
- Created scripts and automated processes to delete log files/restart services automatically.
- Participated in 24/7 on call rotation.
Network Administrator at TrustaffCincinnati, OH August 2004 - January 2005
- Maintained corporate website
- Edited existing ASP based website to add and remove features.
- Created and updated stored procedures in Microsoft SQL Server database.
- Generated reports from Microsoft SQL Server database using Perl via an ODBC connection.
- Goldmine Contact Manager
- Created/deleted/updated custom screens and fields.
- Updated tables via perl and an ODBC connection to the dBase back-end.
- Generated reports from the database with perl and MS Access.
- Phone System
- Ran new lines from punch panel to wall outlet.
- Managed users voice mail boxes.
- Configured and tested VoIP phones.
System Administrator at Signalysis IncCincinnati, OH February 2002 - March 2003
- Maintained internal network of desktop machines running both Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000.
- Maintained Red Hat Linux servers that provided many
services to the internal, as well as the external
- CVS, Samba, FTP (proftpd), Bugzilla (Apache/Perl/MySQL), Iptables Firewall, DNS/DHCP
- Made customizations to Bugzilla install, including modifying Perl code, and the MySQL database.
- Monitoring of internal network using MRTG and SNMP
- Converted existing bug database from DCS reports to Bugzilla using standard UNIX GNU tools (grep, sed, awk) and Perl.
- Implemented IPSec VPN using FreeS/WAN, and PGPNet/SSH Sentinel.
- Managed Backup schedule using BRU (Backup and Recovery Utility).
Customer Care Technician at UltraDNS CorporationSan Mateo, CA August 2000 - May 2001
Provided technical support for the managed DNS
- Assisted users with creation of MX/A/CNAME and other DNS records.
- Troubleshooting DNS problems via phone and email.
- Deployed user accounts.
- Manipulation of large (1000+) lists of zones using standard GNU tools, i.e. grep, sed, awk, cat.
- Use, and modification of perl scripts to insert zones into database back-end.
- Monitored global network
- Basic troubleshooting of network issues using ping/traceroute/telnet/ssh .
- Worked with co-location engineer to resolve connectivity issues.